Founded on the Gospel
Juniper Springs Baptist Church, formerly known as Muddy Springs Baptist Church, was first located one and one-half miles east of the present location in what was then Moore County. It was constituted September 26, 1812, by Elders Isaac Hicks, John Culpepper and Hezekiah Harmon. The first pastor was Isaac Hicks. The fist church building was a small log hug build on land given by the Thomas family, which housed the church for 41 years.
In 1853 when the church was 41 years old, they moved to the present location at the intersection of the old Norton’s Ferry and Buckhorn Road. A new building was built and the name changed to Juniper Springs due to the dense trees by that name growing at the rear of the church and the spring at the bottom of the hill behind the church. Darius Thomas donated three acres of land.
1857, 1875 & 1926
In 1857, Juniper Springs left the Raleigh Association and united with Sandy Creek Association until 1875, when it united with Little River Association. In 1926, we were reunited with Sandy Creek Association.
1869 & 1923
In 1869, 57 years after it was organized, Juniper Springs mothered two other churches: Jonesboro Baptist Church and Baptist Chapel Church. In 1923, the membership divided, and a portion of the membership moved to Broadway and established Broadway Baptist Church.
1874 & 1875
During the years of 1874 and 1875, James Archibald Campbell, son of then Pastor A.N. Campbell, was ordained at Juniper Springs for the ministry. He later became the founder of Buies Creek Academy, which is now Campbell University.
1885, 1968, 1973 & 1979
In 1885, a new church building was dedicated. In 1968, ground was broken for the two-story educational building located behind the existing church building. In 1973, ground was broken for the present sanctuary. The parsonage was completed in 1979.